Sunday, December 8, 2019

Day 62-66 Sapphire Beach to Wollongong 712 kms


We've officially been spoilt! Lately some of the new and interesting locations have become... well kinda normal and vanilla. Gratefully, each time I pull together images and thoughts for this blog my sense of wonder is restored. The list of incredible first time experiences is so long I cant recap accurately without pen and paper. Here's a breakdown of our last 4 days travelling from Sapphire beach, just north of Coffs Harbour, to Windang on the southern side of Wollongong.


The journey from Coffs saw us pass alongside Taree. We saw plenty black trees, fire damaged sheds, building and street signs... and miraculously, some untouched homes standing amidst ruined sheds and fences-  evidence of desperate, brave and skillfull works from fire crews. My thoughts here were with an ex-colleague Tony and others who tragically lost their homes in the fires here.

Travelling on through the NSW Hunter region, I'm frequently reminded of the Telstra family I left behind. We maintained coms for just about all the large hospitals throughout this region from Gosford to Gouldburn. At night I actually dreamt of after hours hospital support scenarios - I woke up with mixed feeling of relief, but also of pride. I miss the people I'd worked with for over a decade. They are a resource bunch of clever and resilient people.


So back to the holiday... have you ever visited Port Stephens? I had no idea the sand dunes were so vast, it reminded me of scenes from the Dakar rally at times. There are approx 38km's of shifting dunes - the largest in the southern hemisphere. So of course, like gravity we were pulled toward camels and sand boards. 

















I'd underestimated what was on offer here and regrettably hadn't charged the go pro fully -  I missed recording plenty of action on these huge dunes. Both kids and I went down the larger dunes, all had epic rides and wipeouts.




Next day we drove onto Wollongong, without any plans to stay..However the 700 odd km's and activities had taken a toll, we were truly tired and emotional. So were spending 2 nights here to recoup before our next bounce down south. I just had a massage a lazy day today. 





Here's Em posing in Wollongong just after we arrived in the main town/city - notice Port Kembla in the background - the industrial placings, whilst no doubt being very important, are a massive blot on the otherwise picturesque coastline.






















And our camp and surroundings at Windang

3 comments:

  1. How about those sand dunes!! We've been there (many moons ago) and missed the sand dunes all together!! Camel rides always fun but those sand board rides look like Soooo much fun!! If only these were equipt with a rope tow - I image there would have been even more trips down!
    That thumbs up picture of Tom is a winner - debatably could have been a cover shot?! Camels also a great shot - not sure if Josh is trying to hold in his excitement or just trying not to make any sudden moves while your taking the picture so as not to annoy that camel!!
    Your list of first time experiences is certainly climbing. But just to be clear, doesn't matter how many adventures you experience, Vanilla will always be the best.
    In realising that your homeward bound. Don't forget to keep taking the time to stop and smell the roses occasionally. Travel safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest easy guys.Home is home,but it’s going to be a wee bit boring after all your adventures . Great fun in those sand dunes, but really sad to see the fire damage. Safe travels as always .Love and hugs xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cam- I have ridden a camel before and it was really fun. I hope you guys have had fun riding them.

    ReplyDelete