Sunday, November 3, 2019

Day 23 Fitzroy Island


Back to back, to back days of activities... Definitely due for a rest day tomorrow.

Here's our day trip to Fitzroy island. The island is about an hours boat ride from Cairns. No tour needed, we just caught the ferry and took our snorkel gear. This time Em's Auntie Leigh joined us and brought some useful local knowledge with her. Once again we lucked out on the weather conditions.
















Untie Leigh watching over Josh as he plays in the shallows with a stinger suit on. Its day 1 of stinger season. Throughout the day it became apparent we were the only cautious ones to wear them.






For those who haven't been, Fitzroy Island has a Turtle rehab hospital. Tom was especially pleased to meet Jules who had three punctures in her shell. She was in recovery and due for release next year. Tom asked a lot of questions during the tour about how he could help. Its great see Tom engaged, there are times on our trip when he is terribly homesick, missing his pets and familiar routine.












Tom is also very much at home when climbing or hanging off something - here we are at lunch






The shadows began to lengthen, while Em and Tom were on the turtle tour, Josh, Leigh and I put on our fins and went out for one last swim. We swam about 50 metres out to this trampoline.

Incredible how Josh's confidence in the water is growing. In Lightening Ridge he wouldn't venture into water he could not comfortably stand up in. He's now fully confident in any depth with snorkel and flippers, capable of duck diving and attempting long stretches unassisted. We climbed up onto the trampoline to be greeted by two Italian year 12 exchange students. The five of us kinda just chilled out for a few mins, we were puffed. One of the students began singing Oasis songs, then some Italian songs before we struck up conversation about Italy and life as an exchange student.




No post for Day 24. In short, we completed some mundane domestic chores, kids did some school work and posted letters. I spent time working on my CV. As part of my exit package, I have access to job transition coaches and resources until December. My plan it to use these services and have the CV  polished up before this expires.

Next we pack up and make our way south to Mission Beach.

7 comments:

  1. OMG what a beautiful place. Such pristine water. Adding it to my bucket list - especially for the turtles. Thank goodness you're having a down day before heading off again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning beach, how beautiful to swim in such pristine clear water. I think you need a few down days there, I am marveling over your stamina to do so much day after day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree Mel.A few rest days would be nice.The pace of your travels and adventures are awesome Qs . I’ve missed a few days and enjoying catching up this Cup Day morning .Tony in Sydney working .Weather chilly and wet .Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proud I’ve worked how to comment at last !🎉

    ReplyDelete
  5. WooHoo!!
    Finally I have mastered the comments section - its only taken me close to 30 days!!!
    I apologise for the "amazing" post. its just that I've written long comments so many times for them not to work that I'd resorted to one word - purely out of laziness and frustration.
    For those of you reading along at home who have struggled as much with the comments as I have the only tip I have (because i'm hopeless with technology) is to use your computer - ie not your smartphone or tablet in order to comment.
    So Quartermain family Fitzroy island does look totally amazing and is defiantly my new favourite place (even though I have yet to visit). I'm LOVING your blogs and how much your embracing your trip. Your awesome boys sound like they are really embracing all that comes with this holiday. All the new challenges and adventures as well as the mundane washing of dishes and all that comes with regularly moving "house" from one place to the next.
    Love to you all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cam - I think that stinger suits are a good idea. I was stung by a bluebottle and it hurts!!

    ReplyDelete